Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Down side of Insurance

On the last entry I told you how it looked like insurance would cover a standing frame for Lynn.  Now we are not sure of anything.  Why?  Saturday we got our insurance explanation of benefits on the power chair and to our utter surprise and dismay it told us insurance was covering only $ 6,000 of the 19,000 bill. Gulp!  That is not what we had been told all along.  Care Med said insurance said they would pay 80 % and we had the other 20% (which we have already paid) The bill had been submitted to insurance for preapproval. Of course, it was a Saturday so phone calls have to wait until tomorrow.  We are so hoping this will just prove to be a mistake on the part of insurance.  Please keep this matter in your prayers.

We are still working on the driving situation.  This week Lynn could get to see a van that is all equipped for a person in a wheelchair.  The owner is considering a trade for the pickup, we think.  It is a hard time of the year to unload a used vehicle.

There have been some bad times with Lynn's muscle spasms.  We are still trying to figure out what triggers them.  There are nights when I simply canot get them to bend when he gets into bed.  They seem to have a life of their own and I actually talk to them when they don't cooperate.  If he was a complete paraplegic, he wouldn't be dealing with this part.  It is the oddest part of all of this.  Legs that move but not by choice.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Good News

I know I have not written in awhile but I do have some good news to share.  Friday Lynn got a call from Social Security Disability and it looks like they are going to approve him without much wait.  We were told in Rehab that this could be a long drawn out process that could last up to two years.  But his caseworker said he would be approved soon.  The power of prayer!!!!!  This money will help us with the extra expenses that come with the territory of being disabled. 

Also this week we found out that our insurance will cover a standing frame for Lynn.  This piece of equipment allows Lynn to stand upright for several hours a day if he would like.  The health benefits are huge.  He doesn't get to move around in it but he will be able to get blood flowing to his legs.

These two developments give us even moreto be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

We do have one prayer request.  Please pray that we will be able to sell Lynn's pickup soon.  It is a bad time of the year for used vehicle sales.  Once we sell it, however, we can begin looking for a used van in earnest.  It is possible too that we may be able to negotiate a swap for a van.  Our agent is looking at all possibilities and has inquiries out all over the state so we continue hopeful something will happen soon.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!